Journaling my walk with God.

Journaling my walk with God.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Getting to know Him

Proverbs 3:5
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.

For the longest time, I determined that this verse simply meant that if something was not working out the way you anticipated that it would, then you should trust that God is in control. In fact, I still believe that this verse refers to those occasions. One thing that is very unique to the Bible is the way God uses it to speak to us. He can use anything to speak to us, but His holy word has a way of taking the same verse and giving it different meaning in your spirit each time you read it. It is, after all, God's living word. (Hebrews 4:12)

Over the past several years I have heard this theory that the God of the Bible is not the God of today. There seems to be some new philosophy floating around that there is a "new, hip" God sitting on the throne. As always, He covered this speculation in His Holy Word as well: Malachi 3:6 I the Lord, do not change.....

I have heard things said such as "I cannot imagine that God would do that.", "I think this is how God works....", "I don't think God would want....". I suppose these statements have become a pet peeve of mine, knowing that there was a time that I said them myself. Something occurred to me, though. The verse I quoted at the beginning of this post has another meaning as well. Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. How amazing is it that we don't have to "think", "imagine", "believe", or "guess" anything about our Heavenly Father. He has given us the instructions in His word and filled us with a Spirit that will guide us.

If we guessed what God wanted, would there be any missionaries? Would there be anyone stepping out in faith that God is telling them to do something that, on the surface, seems to make no sense? If we imagined things about God, wouldn't He be limited? Ephesians 3:2 Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us.

I did guess and imagine something about God. I imagined that I was unusable if people knew my past mistakes. What a shackle that created in my life! Does it make sense for me to tell anyone who will listen about the deepest, darkest secrets in my life? Well, to the world it doesn't, but I have received such freedom and healing from giving God everything, I can't help but shout it out! That is not what He will call everyone to do. Just be aware that sometimes what He asks of you will make no sense to someone on the outside looking in. That is why a personal relationship with Him is necessary.


I encourage you, if you catch yourself "guessing" something about God, dig into His word and know, instead. How exciting is that? We can know, without a doubt. If your answer isn't clear, wait, pray, listen, seek confirmation, but do not move until you KNOW! I promise you, anything you guess about God, is not nearly as amazing as what you will realize when you KNOW Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment