Journaling my walk with God.

Journaling my walk with God.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

God Can Take It!

     I had a friend who was going through a tough time.  She shared with me how she was hurting.  Then she told something that must have been terribly hard to share.  She said, "I'm angry at God and I'm afraid to tell Him."  Something occurred to me at that moment.  I told her, "You might as well tell Him, because He already knows."  Psalm 94:11 (New International Version) 11 The LORD knows the thoughts of man; he knows that they are futile.
     I think of the story of Moses leading the Israelites on the long journey to inhabit the Promised Land.  We see the Israelites repeatedly complain about their situation.  They bring their complaints to each other and to Moses.  They are angry.  God begins to discipline the Israelites for their lack of trust.  He is fathering them just as we discipline our complaining children.  He just wants them to acknowledge his sovereignty.  (A few examples are listed at the bottom of this post).
     Moses, the intercessor for the Israelites is seen repeatedly going before the Lord with requests on behalf of his people.  So often, we see how the FIRST thing Moses does is fall on his face, praying to God.  You see, God knows that it is in our nature to doubt.  From the very beginning it was revealed that it is in our nature to question God and take our frustrations into our own hands.  Consider how Adam and Eve thought there was something more than God had provided.  They did not go to God when the serpent told them to eat the ONLY fruit they were forbiddent to eat.  They did not seek God's instruction.  Instead they believed that God was holding out on them. 
     God knows that the serpent slithers in to tempt everyone.  The enemy whispers in our ear that God isn't giving us His all, that we deserve more.  He narrows our mind so that we can't even grasp the concept of the "big picture".  God has a reason for doing everything He does.  His reasons are good.  Jeremiah 29:11 (New International Version) 11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
    There is a passage in Revelation that perplexed me for a long time.  In Revelation 11, we hear of these people who are evil, killing the 2 witnesses who have come to Earth to tell others about God.  We see that the people celebrate the death of the witnesses.  Then the witnesses are given back their life and they return to Heaven.  The verse that confused me is as follows:  Revelation 11:13  At that very hour there was a severe earthquake and a tenth of the city collapsed. Seven thousand people were killed in the earthquake, and the survivors were terrified and gave glory to the God of heaven.  (emphasis added)  The part where they gave glory to God originally made me think that all of the observers became Christians.  I'm not convinced that this is the case.  I don't believe that thousands of people who previously ignored God now choose to follow him.  My understanding is that they are now simply acknowledging that there is, in fact a God of Heaven.  Just the acknowledgment of God will bring Him glory.  The people now are giving Him credit for being in control.
     If the Israelites had brought their grumblings directly to God, wouldn't they have been acknowledging His power?  This results in glory.  Moses took the very desires of the Israelites before the Lord.  God just wants us to acknowledge that He is in control.  He can handle our anger.  He wants us to be that vulnerable before Him.  It brings Him glory to know that we realize His power. 
     One time I had asked my son to turn off the TV and get his chores completed.  He stormed over to the TV, flicked it off, let out a frustrated sigh, and walked off pouting.  I asked him what was wrong.  He told me that there was a show that he had been waiting on all day.  It was about to come on and I made him turn the TV off.  I said, "Now wait a minute, how can you be angry?  You didn't talk to me about this.  I would've listened.  You chose anger instead. "  I didn't let him watch the show, because I didn't want to teach him that the kind of reaction he had given me was effective.  Had he calmly discussed it with me, I would've either postponed the chores, or I would've recorded the show.
     Even though God already knows our thoughts, He wants us to come to Him.  He doesn't want us to go to our friends or family to "vent".  (Don't get me wrong, I still catch myself doing it).  He wants us to give it all to Him.  Do our friends and family know every hair on our head?  Do they truly know our hearts the way God does?  Not one person on this earth can change our hearts.  That is the job of the Spirit.  The key is to tell God your frustrations, and then seek His counseling.  After going to Him, allow the Spirit to do its job.  1 Peter 5:7 (New International Version) 7Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
     Matthew 6:33 (King James Version) 33But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.  Isn't that what Moses was so good at?  Immediately seeking God with his desires and the desires of his people.  God just wants us to pursue Him with a fraction of the passion that He pursues us.

Examples of Moses seeking God first: 


Exodus 15:24 So the people grumbled against Moses, saying, "What are we to drink?" 25 Then Moses cried out to the LORD, and the LORD showed him a piece of wood. He threw it into the water, and the water became sweet. 3 But the people were thirsty for water there, and they grumbled against Moses. They said, "Why did you bring us up out of Egypt to make us and our children and livestock die of thirst?" 4 Then Moses cried out to the LORD, "What am I to do with these people? They are almost ready to stone me."
5 The LORD answered Moses, "Walk on ahead of the people. Take with you some of the elders of Israel and take in your hand the staff with which you struck the Nile, and go. 6 I will stand there before you by the rock at Horeb. Strike the rock, and water will come out of it for the people to drink.


Numbers 11:1 Now the people complained about their hardships in the hearing of the LORD, and when he heard them his anger was aroused. Then fire from the LORD burned among them and consumed some of the outskirts of the camp. 2 When the people cried out to Moses, he prayed to the LORD and the fire died down.


Numbers 11:10 Moses heard the people of every family wailing, each at the entrance to his tent. The LORD became exceedingly angry, and Moses was troubled. 11 He asked the LORD, "Why have you brought this trouble on your servant? What have I done to displease you that you put the burden of all these people on me? 12 Did I conceive all these people? Did I give them birth? Why do you tell me to carry them in my arms, as a nurse carries an infant, to the land you promised on oath to their forefathers? 13 Where can I get meat for all these people? They keep wailing to me, 'Give us meat to eat!' 14 I cannot carry all these people by myself; the burden is too heavy for me. 15 If this is how you are going to treat me, put me to death right now—if I have found favor in your eyes—and do not let me face my own ruin."
16 The LORD said to Moses: "Bring me seventy of Israel's elders who are known to you as leaders and officials among the people. Have them come to the Tent of Meeting, that they may stand there with you. 17 I will come down and speak with you there, and I will take of the Spirit that is on you and put the Spirit on them. They will help you carry the burden of the people so that you will not have to carry it alone.

  There are many more examples from Numbers, but I think you get the idea.  Moses gave his frustrations to God, and God listened.  God can handle it!

No comments:

Post a Comment