Journaling my walk with God.

Journaling my walk with God.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

I Hope She Likes Polka Dots

     Today, at 10:42 AM, my oldest turned 17.  This marks his last childhood birthday.  A year from now, I will be staring at an adult.  Many years ago, when my boy was still in elementary school, David and I discussed our philosophy on dating.  We came to a conclusion on how we would raise our children.  I will share the reasoning behind that in a future post, for those who are interested.  The very shortened version of that post is that our children may not date until they are 18.  18 means they are considered an adult.  18 means they are considered eligible for marriage.  For many, many reasons, we decided that dating was an unnecessary part of youth.    
     The point of this post is that I started a new journey today that I'm excited about!  I wrote my first entry in this very girly polka dotted journal:



     As you can see, I even used my favorite brand of pen, because it is one of the only ones that allow me to give the false impression that I have good penmanship.  :) 

     This journal will be written in everyday over the next year.  This journal will be loaded with thoughts, prayers and memories for my precious future daughter in law, whomever she may be. I'm praying for this girl RIGHT NOW!  She will get this journal on her wedding day.  I have always wanted to do this, but having 5 children, I didn't want to feel pressured to fill out 5 journals at once.  That is why I decided that I'd spend the year before my children are "marriage eligible" praying for their future spouse.  I don't know if she'll be his age, from the same town, state, or even country as him.  I don't know if I'll be giving this to someone in a few years or a decade.  However, I am praying for her now. 
     Marriage is not easy.  It is a tough commitment, but the hard times are nothing compared to the blessings.  I pray I am one of those blessings to her.  I pray our relationship will bless her. 
     I will do this for every one of my children, although the journal for my future son-in-law probably won't be pink and polka dotted.  I'll probably ramble on less and get to the point quicker.  I'll cross that bridge when I get to it....in 7 1/2 years.  For now, I'm praying for you, future DIL...whomever and wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment