Journaling my walk with God.

Journaling my walk with God.

Monday, July 29, 2013

Lessons from Mexico


     Today I was reading Proverbs 31.  I am preparing for a busy season in our household and wanted some encouragement from that beloved role-model, the Excellent Wife.  (Ok, let's get real here...sometimes she is a little intimidating, but I've learned to love her...most days).  I reached the verse 20:  She extends her hands to the poor, and stretches out her hands to the needy.  My mind immediately traveled back one month to our trip to Matamoros, Mexico. 
     I have always struggled with a certain mindset.  I don't like the philosophy that states that if I expose my children to people who are "less fortunate", my children will be thankful for what they've got.  I'm not saying it is all-together a terrible philosophy, just my personal conviction.  I suppose my struggle with that is that it may not create a compassionate approach to serving, but one of pity instead.  I suppose I also want to be careful that we don't go into any serving opportunity considering ourselves to be "above" the people we are serving.  After all, to wash the feet of someone, as Christ demonstrated, you have to literally place yourself below them.  Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves.
     Another reason I struggle with that train of thought is that it could lead to a focus on material possessions and offer "things" more regard than they deserve.  I would hate for a philosophy to unintentionally be implied that may sound something like this:  "You should be more thankful for your (insert toy, electronic gadget, large home, vehicle, etc...).  Some people don't have those things."
     Don't get me wrong, I do pray that my children are grateful for their tangible and intangible blessings.  I'm just not sure that our desire to instill servant's hearts in our children should involve a goal that includes pity for a child that doesn't have the latest gadget.  When we go out in the world, whether it be the grocery store, the park, the homeless shelter, or a foreign country, we do want them to want what we've got.  What we've got is hope for an eternal future, joy in tough circumstances, purpose, life, something to cling to, a Father for the fatherless, freedom from bondage, forgiveness of sin.  Those are the "things" that we've got that we want others to desire for themselves.
 
     This is where I begin to think on Matamoros Children's Home.  This place is led by an amazing man, Doctor Saul Camacho.  What an amazing man!  Doctor Camacho grew up in Matamoros Children's Home.  He later graduated as a medical doctor in Mexico City.  While being offered a prestigious position at the hospital where he worked, he was also being offered the position of director at Matamoros Children's Home.  After much prayer, he accepted the position at the children's home.  At the time, the home had about 20 children.  Under his leadership, it has grown to  now house over 200.  He lives his life in a humble yellow home on the grounds of the Children's Home.  His house looks similar to the other homes on the property although it is distinct in the fact that it is surrounded by beautiful foliage, including a banana tree some beautiful hibiscus plants.  Here Doctor Camacho is supervising the candy gathering after the piñata was broken.  He is in the light blue shirt:
 Here is my daughter looking up at the banana tree that is growing outside Doctor Camacho's home.

 
     Doctor Camacho has a vision.  He doesn't seem to look at these children with pity and therefore, he doesn't paralyze them by allowing their tough circumstances to determine their future or label them.  These children are immersed in the knowledge that in spite of their status as "orphan", they are completely loved by a Heavenly Father.  These children are given expectations and responsibilities so they can thrive.  They clean their bunkhouses, take care of their laundry, set the dining hall up for dinner, and share many other chores to keep the children's home clean and functioning.  They attend church, they grow food, raise livestock, learn a trade of some sort, care for one another, experience worship, and have all of their medical needs met.  What an amazing job Doctor Camacho has done!  He has built all of this up with a vision on his heart.  He shares it here.  A vision to raise up children with a heart for the lost.  A vision of an army of missionaries!  These children are not given a message that they are poor little orphans.  No, they are given the wisdom that they are world changers! 
     One little boy grabbed my heart.  The first day we arrived he became (according to my 5 year old) "Eli's best amigo".  I won't even pretend that I know how to spell his name.  I tried to ask him in my limited knowledge of Spanish, but he just giggled.  There is no telling what he thought of this crazy lady trying to say the alphabet to him.  Anyway, my best attempt at his name is Moi.  Here are a couple of pictures of Eli and his amigo:
                                                    

           Moi has a heart of gold.  Every day he would shower Eli with gifts.  He offered Dum Dum suckers, Popsicles, (that he was purchasing with his own money) small toys, etc...  This made me very uncomfortable and I almost explained to Eli that maybe we should get a translator to relay the message: "Thank you for sharing for a little while, here is your toy."  I mean, we were supposed to be there to offer gifts to those children...not the other way around!  One night I asked a question of one missionary who had been there for a month.  I asked how he recommend we respond to Moi's generosity.  I was humbled by his answer.  He explained that the "stuff" really isn't important to these children, and we should accept their generosity.  He explained that we could buy them something if we wanted to, but our love and attention is really what they desired the most.  Wow!  I almost heaped a bunch of MY issues on a precious child that is free from that burden. 
     You see, that is what surprised me the most.  These children already had that eternal perspective that I have.  They didn't need to "want what I've got" when it comes to knowledge of God.  They already have it!  I was overwhelmed at how much I wanted what they had!  No one had to tell these children to get off of the computer or TV.  As I was hanging out on one of their porches I noticed the contents of the living room:  a couch.  That is all.  These children ran and played, sang, danced (beautifully with tambourines, I might add).  They were free from the burden of stuff.  Everything they own fits in a drawer, yet they are provided for beautifully and are abundant in joy!  Humbling, huh?  Less really IS more.
    We weren't there to introduce them to God.  We were there to serve them, to be the hands and feet of Christ.  Our crew repaired some of their buildings and prettied up their campus some.  For example:   Instead of saying "I live in the 4th yellow bunk house...in between the 3rd and the 5th yellow bunk house"....the children can now say, "I live in the jungle bunk house, the shark bunk house, the flower bunk house, or the gecko bunk house" (to name a few).  The Gecko bunk house: Possibly my favorite.
 I also have to say that I found it quite attractive to watch my hubby do his part on a team that repaired and painted the buildings.  ;-)
I think the children would say that our greatest contribution was a bunch of playmates:

 
 
    So I left there thankful that we were able to do some things to help keep the children's home running, and praying that the children knew that we were there because of our love for Christ, but the whole trip left me feeling very humbled.  Maybe something in me expected a more depressing situation.  Maybe I expected a mission trip to mean some type of rescue mission.  Maybe somewhere inside...in spite of the fact that I want to be careful how we approach opportunities to serve, maybe I expected to have pity on some poor little kids.  These kids didn't need my pity or a rescuer.  They are doing  just fine.
     Tears filled my eyes as we pulled out of the children's home.  I don't suppose that is surprising.  What did surprise me was the reason behind my tears.  I assumed going into this that I'd have to fight the desire to take some of those babies home with me.  That is not what happened.  I wouldn't take them away from that place for a second--although a certain little Moi and his siblings might be a fun addition to the Ramsey clan!  No, my tears came because I didn't want to leave.  I wanted what they had, and I knew I was returning to a world of gadgets, toys, chords and to do lists that didn't seem so important anymore.  These little girls held the gate open for us as we ended our stay at Matamoros  Children's Home:
 
     Doctor Saul Camacho said that his vision is to grow the children's home to house 300 children.  He asked us to spread the word.  He said that you can sponsor a child.  He said that in praying for the growth of the program, he prays for the workers, the children, and the funding to all be provided.  He said that he didn't tell God which one to provide first, he's leaving that up to God.  Wow!  What faith!  He also asked that we share that it is not scary or violent to come to Matamoros.  He said, sure...there is violence in some areas, but that is the case no matter where you go.  By the way, an interesting fact about this place is that unless Doctor Camacho is working with a family so the child can return to their birth home, the child is considered to be adopted by Doctor Camacho.  If I understand correctly, after 28 years of directing this program, Doctor Camacho has quite a family tree! 
     To all of you who helped us go, thank you!  Our family is changed because of this little trip, and we just pray we were able to be a demonstration of the love of Christ for the people of Mexico.  God is raising up a mighty army over there!  Habakkuk 1:5  Look among the nations, and see; wonder and be astounded.  For I am doing a work in your days that you would not believe if told.  Here is Eli saying "adios" to his amigos, Moi and Moi's brother:






 



No comments:

Post a Comment