Journaling my walk with God.

Journaling my walk with God.

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Box of Blessings

     I am so excited about our new family project!  I've been reading about the Israelites' journeys from Egypt into the Promised Land.  On several occasions, God instructs them to gather some materials to keep in memory of the miracles He performs.  This would remind generations that God is always ready to meet their needs.  That God is in control.  That God loves them.  That God will provide for them.

The following is one example:
Exodus 16:32
New International Version (NIV)
32 Moses said, “This is what the LORD has commanded: ‘Take an omer of manna and keep it for the generations to come, so they can see the bread I gave you to eat in the wilderness when I brought you out of Egypt.’”    

     I often think about the generations that will come after my children.  I think about how it is going to become harder and harder to live a Christ-centered life, because there are going to be fewer examples as time goes by.  It is already a challenge to find truth in the world today among the theories, opinions, and false teachings.  I keep wondering what will help the generations that follow know where to seek truth?  What can I do to leave a legacy that will point my grand-children and great grand-children toward God?  What will remain after I am gone?
     So much of this is dependent on David and I raising our children in a way that they can carry that torch on to their children.  Still, I want to do more.  That is where I thought of a family "Box of Blessings".  David and I sat down with the children and asked them what moments they could think of where there was obvious Godly, supernatural intervention.  We are going to purchase a box and decorate it.  We are going to find something to represent each miracle and place it in the box.  Whenever we need encouragement, we can look at the box and remember that God took care of this big stuff, so surely we can trust him with the small things.  :)
          My son, Will wants to put Eli's first pacifier in the box.  It is a tiny purple pacifier with an indention where his feeding and breathing tube could fit.  This is to remind us of many miracles.  The miracle of Elijah coming out of the hospital completely cured of PPHN almost one month after his birth.  The miracle that God carried us through that terrifying trial.  The miracle of unexplained peace we experienced in spite of the trial.  The miracle that Elijah has told me from the moment he could speak that Jesus held him.   
     I think we have just come up with a new Thanksgiving tradition! We will go through the box and tell stories about each item. I pray this is one of our new traditions that sticks with us for years and for generations. I will post pictures as we decorate and fill the box! I can't wait to post the stories of what God has done in our family. I hope to hear stories of miracles that he has performed for others as well.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment